Eamon Sheahan of Mayflower standing at the site of his great grandfather Jack Sheahan’s butcher stall. The shop was originally opened in the late 1890’s and was demolished in 1957 when it was then owned by Eamon’s grandfather Pa Sheahan.
Back then known as Boherbuoy, it is now called Lower Edward street, right across from People’s Park. Jack Sheahan was Eamon & Sean’s great grandfather on their father’s side.
Their mother, Nuala Hayes, whose father Ted Hayes along with several of her brothers and sisters all worked in Shaws, later to become Clover Meats in Mulgrave street. Other members of the Hayes family worked in O’Mara’s in Roches street or were also involved in the meat trade.
It is no surprise with such a family history that Eamon and Sean decided in 1984 to start their own business, The Limerick Sauce Company, which is still operating today and making it over 100 years of the Sheahan/Hayes family being involved in the food industry in Limerick.